Date:      Sun, 20 Oct 1996 13:26:12 -0700
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        graphix@iastate.edu
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: translucent filesystem (was union mounts)

>>   After searching the mail list archives I have a bad feeling that that
>> translucent filesystems do not work but hoped that perhaps they where
>> fixed in current.
>
>  I have a bad feeling that I spoke too soon...
>
>  After recompiling the world and a kernel from completely new source
>code, the translucent filesystem appears to be working.  Please note
>that I ma using staticly linked version of union and null now however.
>Before I was using the lkm versions of each.  It is possible they where
>out of sync with the kernel I had installed I suppose.

   Out of date LKMs are a sure killer no matter what the filesystem, but both
union and null FS are broken due to interaction problems with the FreeBSD
merged VM/buffer cache. It's a fairly high priority goal to fix this, but it
will require significant changes to these filesystems to fix.

-DG

David Greenman