Date:      Wed, 6 Mar 2019 18:27:52 -0500
From:      Dennis Clarke <dclarke@blastwave.org>
To:        freebsd-ppc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Mac G5 and XServe G5 support

On 3/6/19 4:59 AM, Sergio Carlavilla wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I want to know how is the state of FreeBSD in Mac G5 and XServe G5.
> Support all the hardware?
>
> I checked the wiki page https://wiki.freebsd.org/powerpc but I don't finded anything specific to Mac G5 and XServe G5 hardware support.

You can install FreeBSD 12 on a PowerMac G5 quad unit without too much
trouble if ( and only if ) you know how to tell the loader to insert a
few variables such as usefdt=1 and kern.smp.disabled=1 just to get it
to boot. After install you may build the current sources for the kernel
and the whole buildworld for that matter. That all works and I have done
it over and over. You may even get all four cores running. However this
is all somewhat similar to having a 1937 Plymouth car in your garage and
tinkering on it. Hardly modern in even the most thin sense of the word.
But it works fine.

--
Dennis Clarke
RISC-V/SPARC/PPC/ARM/CISC