Date:      Mon, 14 Oct 1996 22:25:24 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        fenner@parc.xerox.com (Bill Fenner)
Cc:        joerg@freefall.freebsd.org, CVS-committers@freefall.freebsd.org, cvs-all@freefall.freebsd.org, cvs-sbin@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/sbin/savecore savecore.c

As Bill Fenner wrote:

> >  However, he missed the part to compute the kernelsize in kilobytes,
> >  so the minfree consideration was now overcautious.

> Sorry, I thought I had made sure that everything was in K.  Unless I
> missed something, the patch in the PR causes minfree to be specified in
> bytes, which is not what the man page says.

Yep, the patch in the PR broke with the tradition.  My own (not
committed) version also used byte values for everything (with
`dumpsize' also enlarged to off_t), to avoid the implicit truncation
to the lower kilobyte value.  However, i multiplied the value from the
minfree file with 1024 when reading it, in order to comply with the
man page and the historic behaviour.

> In fact, if I re-read my patch, it looks like spacefree and totfree are
> kept in units of K-bytes, kernelsize and dumpsize are kept in units of
> bytes but needed = (dumpsize + kernelsize) / 1024, so needed is in units
> of K-bytes, and minfree is specified in the file as being specified in
> K-bytes.  What am I missing?

Nothing.  I think my brain has already been turned off last night...
Who's got the pointing hat these days?  Pass it on to me! <:-)

--
cheers, J"org