Date:      Sun, 02 Mar 1997 12:50:18 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        Bill Fenner <fenner@parc.xerox.com>
Cc:        CVS-committers@freefall.freebsd.org, cvs-all@freefall.freebsd.org, cvs-sbin@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/sbin/ping ping.c ping.8

In message <97Mar2.113620pst.177476@crevenia.parc.xerox.com> Bill
Fenner writes:
: Is it a good idea to call getuid() for each packet?  Wouldn't it make
: more sense to cache its value, since it's not going to change?  (Perhaps
: at the same time as we setuid(getuid())?)

I don't think that it matters enough to be worth the extra effort at
optimizing.  getuid() is a cheap system call, and we only call
getuid() when verbose is true.  And then we should be doing that only
once a second.  However, in less time than it has taken me to whine
about this, I've added it to my local copy and it compiles....

Warner