Date:      Mon, 8 Jun 1998 08:35:08 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        easmith@beatrice.rutgers.edu (Allen Smith)
Cc:        wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu, net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Documenting sysctls (was: Re: kernfs/procfs questions...)

as far as i can tell all your previous comments are right but...

> >   * nor i am sure how well this works with ethernet _and_ IP multicast and
> >     broadcast. Things like bootp might not work anymore across your
> >     gateway.
>
> Ethernet broadcasts are supposed to be stopped by bridges, so I

no,this is not true. ethernet broadcasts and *must* be passed by
L2 devices (bridges/switches). Same for multicasts, except that you can
have some smarts in the bridge and snoop the control traffic (e.g.
IGMP) to do selective forwarding.

> > it's more a bus than a CPU problem.
>
> I'll be going to PCI cards if we move to 100-Base-TX.

you need it even for 10Mbit, the ISA bus bandwidth is barely enough
to support one loaded ethernet.

	cheers
	luigi