Date:      Fri, 07 Jul 2000 09:58:44 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        itojun@iijlab.net
Cc:        n_hibma@FreeBSD.org, FreeBSD Current <freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org>, Charles Anderson <caa@columbus.rr.com>
Subject:   Re: _DIAGASSERT in libusb & libutil

On 07-Jul-00 itojun@iijlab.net wrote:

>>It's a macro that NetBSD uses just to be different from the rest of the
>>known
>>world which uses the assert() macro from /usr/include/assert.h.
>
>       _DIAGASSERT() has its history and reasons (there was some proposal
>       on it and _DIAGASSERT() implements that). it is not just to be
>       different.  I admit it is now equivalent to assert().  netbsd may need
>       to clean them up...

It is slightly different in truth, because assert() is conditionally
defined on NDEBUG, whereas _DIAGASSERT() is conditionally defined on
DIAGNOSTICS.  Also, it calls __diagassert() rather than __assert(),
although both functions take the same arguments, so I suppose it
could be performing additional behavior of some sort.