Date:      Mon, 24 Mar 2003 11:15:09 -0600
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm-dated-1048958110.00fef7@mired.org>
To:        "Tamir Halperin" <tamir@brobus.net>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: OpenSSL obstacle to PostgreSQL Installation

In <985DF46E87E0C047A3670048DBCAD0556BA3@andrew.brobus.net>, Tamir Halperin <tamir@brobus.net> typed:
> I'm not able to install PostgreSQL 7.3.2 from ports because I get the following error after having just installed openssl-0.9.7a_2. openssl shows up in /var/db/pkg.
>
> When I try to make in /usr/ports/databases/postgresql7 I get the following error:
>
> "This port requires the OpenSSL library, which is part of the FreeBSD crypto distribution but not installed on your machine. Please see the "OpenSSL" section in the handbook (at ...) for instructions on how to obtain and install the FreeBSD OpenSSL distribution.
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop."

You get that message if you are building a port that needs SSL on a
recent enough version of FreeBSD, and don't have a
/usr/lib/libcrypto.so. The version number doesn't matter.

Assuming you don't have libcrypto.so, did you try the handbook and
following the directions there for installing the OpenSSL
distribution?

	<mike