Date:      Tue, 25 Mar 2003 11:38:45 -0600
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm-dated-1049045926.bae311@mired.org>
To:        "Tamir Halperin" <tamir@brobus.net>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: OpenSSL obstacle to PostgreSQL Installation

In <985DF46E87E0C047A3670048DBCAD0556BB8@andrew.brobus.net>, Tamir Halperin <tamir@brobus.net> typed:

Make sure you select any cryptography distributions that show up.

> 1b. How do I get rid of the symlink? I looked at man ln and it wasn't very clear. I have so much to learn :(

Just rm /usr/lib/libcrypto.so.

> 2. I do not know how to do a back up. I hope there's some program in the system that will allow me to simply back up only the system related config files since those are the only thinga that aren't application specific that I've modified from time to time.

The upgrade process will back up the system related config files for
you. Like I said, I'm not sure where it backs them up to, as I haven't
done a binary upgrade in a while.

> I can easily get burn those on to a cd as well or copy them as a backup volume to my other machine for later restoration.
> > Alternatively for that last step, you can copy the your version back,
> > and run "/usr/sbin/mergemaster" to merge in the config file changes
> > from 4.8. But getting your config files up to date is the only part
> > that's not simple.
> 3a. An interestingly sounding alternative but I'm not sure what you mean by "copy your version back".
> 3b. What does my "version" pertain to?

The upgrade process copies all your old system config files to a safe
place before it installs the new ones. That's your version of them.

> Are you limiting that term to my version of the config files in the sense that I restore them back to their original locations and a program called mergmaster "automagically" updates them all with 4.8 settings where appropriate?

Sort of. Mergemaster isn't completely automatic. It will ask you if
you want to udpate files, and gives you the option to examine both
files and then merge them under your control. If you haven't modified
very many of the files, it might be easier to do this the other way
around.

> > If you want to do a source upgrade, the handbook covers that in "the
> > cutting edge". But the sequence is:
> >
> > # cvsup 			# to get new sources.
> > # cd /usr/src
> > # make buildworld
> > # make kernel KERNCONF=whatever	# use your kernel
> 4a. Where will I find the file that needs to be referenced in place of the word "whatever"? If you know the directory the KERNCONF file is stored in, great. But some hints as to the name will go a long way as well if you don't.
> > config file name here
> 4b. This one eludes me as well.

Those are the same thing. If you haven't configured a custom kernel,
then you can just do "make kernel" and leave off the KERNCONF=
stuff. If you have configured a custom kernel, you should know the
name of the kernels config file, and that's the "whatever" to use.

	<mike