Date:      Mon, 20 Aug 2001 11:18:05 -0400
From:      Charles Shannon Hendrix <shannon@widomaker.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: What is the magical incantation necessary to print to /dev/ulpt0

On Wed, Aug 15, 2001 at 10:34:42AM -0700, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:

> I agree 100%.  HP software sucks rocks in general.  It never works right out
> of the box without waiting months for patches.  I've got stories and
> stories.

I hear you screaming. At home I had an IBM ExecJet for nearly 7 years.
It finally just wore out. When I started looking for a replacement,
there was this bewildering array of printers everywhere, none of which
seemed to do what I want.

Since I don't print much, I don't really mind the cost of inkjet's per
page, but I was alarmed to find that you can no longer buy a plain black
and white inkjet.

I ended up getting an Epson Color 880. It's fallen from around $300 to
now under $100 over the last couple of years, and Epson seems to be
pretty cooperative with driver writers. I treat it just like a color
postscript printer using GhostScript and the Gimp print engine.  It
works great, and doesn't do anything stupid or unexpected.

There are faster printers with more features, etc, but the Epsons, if
you must by an inkjet, seem to work well.

> and so on and so on.  Thank goodness I only deal with Postscript at home!
> They are fine if you just make everything Postscript.

Why don't you use PostScript at work? Everywhere I've been, I just set
the Windows machines to print PostScript and forget the driver mess.
It's possible I miss a feature or two, but that's pretty rare.

--
______________________/ armchairrocketscientistgraffitiexenstentialist