Date:      Tue, 3 Aug 1999 19:37:41 -0700 (PDT)
From:      asami@FreeBSD.ORG (Satoshi - Ports Wraith - Asami)
To:        jeremyp@gsmx07.alcatel.com.au
Cc:        cvs-all@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: ports/devel/codecrusader - Imported sources

 * From: Peter Jeremy <jeremyp@gsmx07.alcatel.com.au>

 * asami@FreeBSD.org (Satoshi - Ports Wraith - Asami) wrote:
 * >By the way, the easiest way to fix something like this is to put
 * >"NO_BUILD=t" and "INSTALL_TARGET=all install" in the Makefile....
 *
 * That strikes me as even more of a kludge.  There are often cases
 * where I want to build something without installing it - one obvious
 * example is building and installing on different machines.

Yes, I should have mentioned it as a "kludge" rather than a fix.
Still, it will make the port work for most cases.

 * A warning of `BROKEN' should make it obvious what the problem is -
 * whereas your fix just masks the problem.
 *
 * I'd prefer to see the port fixed so that it builds and installs in two
 * clearly delimited steps.

Easy to say, but it's usually pretty difficult to fix them properly
because the original authors have a good reason to do it that way.
For an example of a port fixed properly but became almost
unmaintainable as a result, see lang/modula-3.

Satoshi