Date:      Sun, 31 Jan 2016 14:06:03 +0000
From:      Jonathan de Boyne Pollard <J.deBoynePollard-newsgroups@NTLWorld.com>
To:        FreeBSD Hackers <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: syslogd(8) with OOM Killer protection

Jan Bramkamp:
 > I would prefer to implement [a] flag keeping cron (and all other
 > base system daemons) from double-forking and run it under a
 > process supervisor like daemontools.

Ravi Pokala:
 > We've recently added that to `syslogd' (r279567, 2015-03-03).
 > I think we also have internal changes (not committed to -HEAD
 > yet) which adds a "run in foreground" option to a few other
 > daemons.

As I've noted:

*
http://homepage.ntlworld.com./jonathan.deboynepollard/FGA/unix-daemon-design-mistakes-to-avoid.html#ForegroundDoesNotImplyDebugging

This has been gradually going on for a decade, now.  It's not something
new that we're only just getting.  Vixie cron (still determinedly
"daemonizing" itself) is largely *not* representative of current
practice, now.  It's not even representative of crons in particular.
GNU cron has a -f flag.  Matt Dillon's dcron has a -f flag.  Thibault
Godouet's fcron has a -f flag.  Bruce Guenter's bcron was designed from
the start to be run under a service manager.

* http://untroubled.org./bcron/bcron.html
* http://www.jimpryor.net./linux/dcron.html
* http://fcron.free.fr./

My thanks (and I suspect that of a lot of other people) to those who are
and have been, program by program, enabling us to be rid of all of the
unnecessary forking.