Date:      09 Nov 2002 10:38:46 +0100
From:      Frode Nordahl <frode@nordahl.net>
To:        Michael Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        acpi-jp@jp.FreeBSD.org, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [acpi-jp 1926] Re: acpid implementation?

On Sat, 2002-11-09 at 09:59, Michael Smith wrote:
> > I'm sure people have this and other things they want to configure their
> > computer to do on sleep / resume.
>
> I'm sure that you think that FreeBSD needs an acpid because Linux
> has an acpid.

No, I think FreeBSD needs an acpid because it has a apmd, and this gives
the user freedom and flexibility to do whatever he wants, and do
something with acpi events in userland if he pleases.

I don't know if Linux has a acpid or what features it has, and I don't
care.

> Most of the other things that an 'acpid' would do are specific
> examples of more general classes of events, for which software
> should be able to request notification and handle it accordingly.

That would be excellent.

I don't see how any application would be able to do something before a
sleep operation this way though.  If the kernel was to wait for every
app. requesting this, it would cause trouble.

>   = Mike

Mvh,
Frode Nordahl