Date:      Fri, 1 Mar 2002 18:16:03 -0600
From:      "Mike Meyer" <mwm-dated-1015460163.7c93d4@mired.org>
To:        swear@blarg.net (Gary W. Swearingen)
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: GUI  question.

Gary W. Swearingen <swear@blarg.net> types:
> "Mike Meyer" <mwm-dated-1015433546.4c7b1e@mired.org> writes:
> > You might want to consider either ratpoison, or the plpwm example
> > bundled into plwm, both of which are *much* saner solutions for
> > stacking and moving xterms than anything else I've seen.
> >
> > Having to actually touch the rodent just to activate a different
> > xterm?  What a waste!
> Good old fvwm2 gives pretty good control of windows (and their
> containers, pages, and their containers, desktops) with keys.  Cycle up,
> down, iconize, goto a particular ones (favorites, though not
> dynamically, by name), other things I've not tried.

I don't know that I ever tried fvwm2. I used fvwm, just long enough to
get disgusted with it. I think I used ctwm after that, but forget the
details. I used lwm, then my own hacked version with CORBA bindings
for the objects in it.

> I keep most windows stacked in the upper left corner (with 2 pixel space
> for easy access of background mouse menus), most filling screen except
> one inch right border which has (from top down) round clock,
> day/date/time, xload, xosview (CPU,mem,swap,paging), button bar
> (1/4" x 1" buttons stacking down which may be used to de/iconize or
> raise+fucus windows), and at bottom, a two-desktop, four-page pager
> (one desktop with red background to warn of the root xterms there).
> The config file allows key/menu/button/etc. definitions

Ok, the right half of mine is an xemacs. That bottom 1/2" of the
entier left half is an xconsole.  The left 1" about that is gkrellm
running on various systems, which give me most of the information you
have over there, with the last 3/4" at the top being a mixer control
for the three things I listen to most, plus global volume (that could
be put into the gkrellm as well.  The area surrounded by this U is
either three or four xterms, depending on what I'm doing. There are
usually a stack under at least one, if not all four, of those xterm
spaces.

> And best of all: no icons anywhere.

Yup. Now, consider being able to bind an arbitrary X Keysym to any
arbitrary action, or sequence of actions. That's what plpwm gives
me. So I can switch to a specific visible window with a
Control-<digit>. Alt-<letter> starts specific applications, or gets
their window stacked in the area I'm currently working in - except for
emacs, which always winds up in the right half of the screen. There
are similar keystrokes to create windows, accept shell commands,
etc. If I want to do something rare or exotic, there's an Alt-X
prefix. So if I want to inspect the window managers data structures,
it's Alt-x Alt-i.

	 <mike