Date:      Wed, 10 Dec 2008 17:21:22 +0100
From:      =?utf-8?Q?Dag-Erling_Sm=C3=B8rgrav?= <des@des.no>
To:        "Ivan Voras" <ivoras@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: MAXFILES in subr_param.c

"Ivan Voras" <ivoras@freebsd.org> writes:
> The macro is defined and used exactly once, in this file. Other files
> probably use maxfiles.

maxfiles is the real value; it's a loader tunable, and more importantly,
it can be modified at run time through the kern.maxfiles sysctl
variable.  MAXFILES is simply the default value to which maxfiles is
initialized.

> The problem is - since it's in an #ifdef block
> - is it defined anywhere else? A quick grep yields only this:
>
> conf/NOTES:options 	MAXFILES=3D999
> conf/options:MAXFILES	opt_param.h
>
> I don't know how config interacts with the source - does it shadow the
> subr_param.c value?

Yes.  If you use the MAXFILES option in your kernel config, config(8)
will add a corresponding #define MAXFILES to opt_param.h.

I doubt anyone would complain (or even notice) if you removed it
entirely.

DES
--=20
Dag-Erling Sm=C3=B8rgrav - des@des.no