Date:      Wed, 10 Nov 2010 16:52:11 +0100 (CET)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@lurza.secnetix.de>
To:        freebsd-bluetooth@FreeBSD.ORG, maksim.yevmenkin@gmail.com
Subject:   Re: [RFC] firmware downloader for atheros ar3011 based usb bluetooth ?devices

Maksim Yevmenkin <maksim.yevmenkin@gmail.com> wrote:
 > i'd like to request feedback/comments/etc. on a firmware downloader
 > for atheros ar3011 based usb bluetooth devices.
 >
 > there are actually a couple of versions available:
 >
 > (1) kernel-based version.  [...]
 > (2) userspace-based version.  [...]
 >
 > both seems to work for me. but, i'm leaning towards userspace option

Me too.  I think if something can be done in userland, then
it should be done that way, be it just for the reason that
a bug will likely result in a coredump instead of a panic.
;-)

 > i also would like to thank Rusty Nejdl for donating hardware (ASUS
 > USB-BT211 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833320057
 > dongle). this dongle has an awesome form factor :) its pretty darn
 > small :)

My older (non-atheros) dongle has about the same size.
It disappears almost completely in the USB slot; I have
to use my fingernails to get it out.  It looks similar
to this one:

http://www.pollin.de/shop/suchergebnis.html?S_TEXT=721457

Best regards
   Oliver

"Being really good at C++ is like being really good
at using rocks to sharpen sticks."
        -- Thant Tessman