Date:      Sun, 30 Aug 2020 04:18:46 -0600
From:      @lbutlr <kremels@kreme.com>
To:        FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Even more OT (was Re: (very OT) Ideal partition schemes (history of partitioning))

On 28 Aug 2020, at 23:19, Doug Hardie <bc979@lafn.org> wrote:
> Interestingly enough, OSX has recently gone to multiple partitions.  =
In this=20

Not exactly. macOS (n=C3=A9e OS X) boot drives have a single partition =
formatted as APFS and then have multiple APFS volumes inside that =
partition.

For example, this is my boot drive:

/dev/disk0 (internal, physical):
#:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       =
IDENTIFIER
0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *1.0 TB     disk0
1:                        EFI =E2=81=A8EFI=E2=81=A9                     =
314.6 MB   disk0s1
2:                 Apple_APFS =E2=81=A8Container disk1=E2=81=A9         =
1.0 TB     disk0s2

That the boot drive with one APFS partition on disk0s2

/dev/disk1 (synthesized):
#:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       =
IDENTIFIER
0:      APFS Container Scheme -                      +1.0 TB     disk1
                            Physical Store disk0s2

And there is where that partition is mapped to disk1

1:                APFS Volume =E2=81=A8Avalon - Data=E2=81=A9           =
599.7 GB   disk1s1
2:                APFS Volume =E2=81=A8Preboot=E2=81=A9                 =
437.5 MB   disk1s2
3:                APFS Volume =E2=81=A8Recovery=E2=81=A9                =
1.3 GB     disk1s3
4:                APFS Volume =E2=81=A8VM=E2=81=A9                      =
5.4 GB     disk1s4
5:                APFS Volume =E2=81=A8Avalon=E2=81=A9                  =
15.0 GB    disk1s5
6:              APFS Snapshot =E2=81=A8com.apple.os.update-...=E2=81=A9 =
15.0 GB    disk1s5s1
7:                APFS Volume =E2=81=A8Mordred - Data=E2=81=A9          =
16.4 GB    disk1s7
8:                APFS Volume =E2=81=A8Mordred                 11.0 GB   =
 disk1s8

Volumes are not the same as partitions, for one thing they do not =
reserve space for themselves (they CAN, it appears, but they do not by =
default). Every volume on my boot drive has the same 326Gi of available =
free space. Second, it is trivial to add and remove volumes (as you can =
see with the APFS Snapshot volume).

There are other advantages, but they start to blur the lines between =
what is a volume feature and what is an APFS container feature.

Avalon and Mordred are the System volumes containing the base OS =
(Mordred is a clean install of the previous OS).

The OS itself can "fold" directories on different volumes into one =
directory, but if this is available to user I've not found it. If I =
could, I would do that with the home folder on Mordred - Data so I would =
not need to duplicate any files between the volumes.

--=20
"Are you pondering what I'm pondering?"
"I think so, Brain, but should we use dishwashing liquid or cooking
	oil?"