Date:      Tue, 3 Jan 2006 14:11:35 +0000
From:      "Bruce O'Neel" <edoneel@sdf.lonestar.org>
To:        Gunter Wambaugh <unixgeek@six-two.net>
Cc:        freebsd-sparc64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: netboot ultra2

Hi,

This is from memory how I installed FreeBSD so that it netbooted
from a NetBSD system.  This worked well except that NetBSD does NOT
do NFS file locking (it seems) and therefore anything that wanted
a file lock failed.  Think cron and vipw for two examples.

You already have rarp and bootparam or dhcp set up and working, right?

Replace the netbsd boot.net with boot/loader

Make a directory somewhere and export it to your ultra

>From the iso image step over each of the directories in
6.0-RELEASE.  In most of them there is a handy install.sh file
which is slightly wrong for what you need to do, but gives you
the idea.

In the base directory, for example,

cd /you/exported/root/filesystem; cat /cdrom/6.0-RELEASE/base/base.?? | tar xzpf -

Repeat for all of the other directories in 6.0-RELEASE that you wish
to install.

edit etc files to your hearts content

boot net

the ultra.

Re edit etc files

boot net

and repeat until you are happy.

The email exchange that seemed to answer most of my questions starts
at:

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-sparc64/2005-October/003519.html

good luck!

cheers