Date:      Sun, 16 Dec 2012 16:02:37 +1100
From:      grenville armitage <garmitage@swin.edu.au>
To:        freebsd-arm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD/armv6 for QEMU

On 12/06/2012 18:52, Oleksandr Tymoshenko wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've just finished first version of VersatilePB support for FreeBSD/armv6.
> QEMU uses this machine as a base for armv6 emulation.
>
> Full patch: http://people.freebsd.org/~gonzo/arm/qemu/versatilepb.diff
> Build/run info: http://kernelnomicon.org/?p=229
	[..]

Just wanted to publicly say Thanks! I recently started dabbling with emulating embedded devices (for possible educational use), and your patches worked nicely.

I managed to boot and run my own build of your patched -CURRENT kernel under qemu 1.1.1 (qemu-devel on a FreeBSD 8 host) with modest reliability (I can establish network connectivity, ssh in to the guest, run basic executables, but while trying to build a simple Port the guest OS stopped responding to anything but ping). I know your blog says I shouldn't try qemu 1.1.1, but I couldn't resist ;)

Under qemu 1.3.0 (on a WinXP Host) the VersatilePB guest successfully built a number of small-ish ports (tmux, ushare, gmake, ..) without freezing or crashing.

cheers,
gja