Date:      Fri, 8 Feb 2002 00:35:08 +0100
From:      "Andrzej Bialecki" <abial@webgiro.com>
To:        "Frost, Stephen C" <stephen.c.frost@intel.com>, <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Cc:        "Frost, Stephen C" <stephen.c.frost@intel.com>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD onto An Intel Saber 8-Proc Server

> later!  All things look great until, after choosing NFS for installation
> preference, it does not see my standard Intel 10/100 NIC, and installation
> can go no further.
>
> If instead of NFS, I choose 'CD' (Using 4.5 taken from the freebsd.org's
> released ISO image) I am able to install up the system, but once rebooted
> (allow another 20:07), cannot see the NIC (i.e. doesn't show up in
ifconfig,
> even though it's built into the kernel.)

I can't offer any insights as for the SCSI adapters, but re: NIC - I've had
similar symptoms quite a few times with Intel motherboards, and usually the
cause was that the NIC was disabled in BIOS. FreeBSD could still see it, but
something was missing on the low level and any access to the card would lock
up the machine solid...

Best regards,

Andrzej

// Andrzej Bialecki <abial@webgiro.com>, Chief System Architect