Date:      Mon, 11 Nov 2002 12:36:58 -0800
From:      Peter Schoenmaker <pds@dgsi.com>
To:        Kevin Stevens <Kevin_Stevens@pursued-with.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: dns resolution problems

On Mon, Nov 11, 2002 at 11:28:27AM -0800, Kevin Stevens wrote:

> On Monday, Nov 11, 2002, at 11:12 US/Pacific, Peter Schoenmaker wrote:
>
> >I am having problems resolving hosts with freebsd.  Specificly i have
> >problems resolving hosts @ united airlines.  These include www.ual.com,
> >www.united.com, www.ua2go.com, www.itn.net.  Some of them use different
> >dns servers but they still have the problem.  I have tried to look into
> >the problem but can't find it.
>
> Works from here, 4.7 RELEASE running bind.
>
> >  The problem doesn't occur on solaris
> >2.8/2.9, or windows.
>
> Are those machines on the same network?  The Windows machine probably
> isn't doing resolution itself, so what nameserver is it using?  Is your
> FreeBSD machine using the same one, or is it running a nameserver
> itself?

I have tried it from multiple machines on different networks.  With
the same result.  I have tried both my own name server, and my provider's
name server with similar results.

> > I am running FreeBSD 4.7 RELEASE, and the box
> >is not behind a firewall.  I have tried having the box resolve again
> >multiple DNS servers with the same result.  Does anyone have any ideas,
> >or are experiencing the same problem?
>
> More specifics would help, but I doubt it's a FreeBSD issue.  Places to
> look:
>
> How is your machine represented to the Internet?  (what does its name,
> IP address, reverse lookup look like)  How is this information
> different than the boxes that are working?  External DNS servers may
> (unusually) have restrictions on who they'll respond to.

I have tried this from multiple places, both with matching forwards
and reverses, and with no dns at all, same result.

> Are you running a DNS server locally, or are you pointed somewhere
> else?  (resolv.conf)  How does this relate to how the other boxes are
> configured?
>
> When you say "can't resolve", what do you mean?  Does the query never
> get issued, does it not get a response, or is the response not
> useful/correct?

I means that when i do a 'host www.ual.com' or a dig www.ual.com there
is no A record returned.

peter