Date:      Fri, 27 Oct 2000 10:20:08 +1100 (EST)
From:      Iain Templeton <iain@research.canon.com.au>
To:        "Youngman, Neil" <Neil_Youngman@NAI.com>
Cc:        "'doc@freebsd.org'" <doc@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD FAQ - Incorrect answer

On Wed, 25 Oct 2000, Youngman, Neil wrote:

Well, I don't recall seeing another answer so...

> The answer to the question "Q: How do I access the virtual consoles from X?"
> is incorrect, at least misleading, for FreeBSD 3.4
>
> It says "you may use only the Alt- function key to switch to another virtual
> terminal or back to X Window. You do not need to also press the Ctrl key."
>
> I read that as meaning that to get back to an X session on virtual console 1
> I just need to use Alt-F1. That does not work. Alt-F1 just gives me the
> underlying text console with messages from the X session. To get the X
> session itself back I have to use Ctrl-Alt-F9!

Well, the reason for that is that although you started the X session
from console 1 (via startx or whatever), the X session really runs on
the first unused virtual console, which in your case was console 9.

Whilst it doesn't quite say it, the previous FAQ entry implies that X
doesn't run on the virtual console that you start it from. Maybe this
needs to be stated explicitly. If I get bored I might run up a patch for
this perhaps.

You also didn't need to press Ctrl in this case.

Iain