Date:      Mon, 2 Mar 2015 17:07:32 -0700
From:      Alan Somers <asomers@freebsd.org>
To:        Julio Merino <jmmv@meroh.net>
Cc:        "freebsd-testing@freebsd.org" <freebsd-testing@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Python unittest backend for Kyua

On Mon, Mar 2, 2015 at 4:42 PM, Julio Merino <jmmv@meroh.net> wrote:

>> On Feb 15, 2015, at 00:16, Alan Somers <asomers@freebsd.org> wrote:
>>
>> Not much further than when I made that post, and no.  In fact, I
>> hardly use Python at all.  Professionally, my company is all about
>> Ruby, and I would be very interested in a Ruby test/unit tester for
>> Kyua.  However, Ruby's test/unit's implementation is much messier than
>> Python's unittest, so I thought that writing a unittest tester would
>> be good practice for writing a test/unit tester.  Indeed it was.  I
>> found unittest very easy to interface to; it hardly took me any time
>> to write that tester.  But in the end I stopped working on it because
>> jmmv and I disagreed about test isolation.  Jmmv's primary interest is
>> in writing system-level tests.  He basically sees a unittest tester as
>> an alternative to atf-sh.  But my primary interest is in tying
>> together separate components' test suites and get a consistent view of
>> all results. So naturally jmmv wants the same level of isolation as
>> atf-sh provides, but I want the same level of isolation as unittest
>> provides.  In fact, atf-sh style isolation is bad for my use case,
>> because it can cause tests that were originally written for unittest
>> to fail.  It also drastically increases runtime because the Python
>> interpreter must be restarted between each test.
>
> As a matter of fact, I have changed my thoughts on this.  I would like Ky=
ua to better support "unittest"-style test programs because that's what pre=
tty much all testing libraries implement and what other people know... and =
well, this model is just much faster and equally useful for the vast majori=
ty of the cases.

Well, maybe I should dust off my old branch and get back to work.  But
I don't know how my python tester would work with your executor
branch.  If I understand correctly, the executor branch dispenses with
the *-tester binaries and calls the test programs directly from the
kyua executable, correct?  The python tester relied on the tester
being a separate binary.  The tester was actually implemented in
Python, which made it very easy for the tester to interact with
individual test cases.  How would I accomplish that on the executor
branch?

-Alan