Date:      Tue, 06 Jan 2009 17:30:46 +0000
From:      Vincent Hoffman <vince@unsane.co.uk>
To:        Daniel Bond <db@danielbond.org>
Cc:        Christopher Arnold <chris@arnold.se>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: freebsd-update painfully slow - slower than source code build of world and kernel

Daniel Bond wrote:
> The same could be said about CVSup, one could write a caching cvsup
> proxy-server, and then we could just get rid of all the other
> cvsup-servers, except two (like freebsd-update soon will have). The
> point is, for portsnap and freebsd-update to scale properly, it needs
> to be opened up to the public, like CVSup is. People running a single
> server at home, or maybee two, most like won't want to set up a PROXY
> server, and they would be required to update both servers at the same
> day for the Proxy server to actually cache something - which many may
> not want. And there are a lot of people running a few servers, here
> and there.
>

> Sure, a national squid-proxy could work - although, there is no
> individual proxy setting for portsnap/freebsd-update.. It honors
> HTTP_PROXY environment variable, which a lot of other tools also use.
> Some tools might not work via this proxy, especially for local
> addresses - the administrators of these servers probably don't want
> all the ports tarballs to go via these, and people could use them for
> nasty things. So, then we are back to manually setting/specifying the
> proxy-server, each time one wants to run the commands - which people
> might forget. (Is this getting complicated enough yet..?) We would
> basically be creating a whole lot of new potential problems for the
> users, to solve the problem in question..
>

> I am also interested in learning how the portsnap protocol works,
> maybe there are potential issues with it, that a second eye might
> spot, or room for improvement? From what I gather, Colin is a very
> cleaver guy, so it is not very likely, but still, other people could
> learn from it.

well portsnap/freebsd-update are shell scripts so not too hard to read.
The actual transfer protocol is  piplined http and is done by
/usr/libexec/phttpget  (in base so src code available
/usr/src/usr.sbin/portsnap/phttpget/phttpget.c )
also see http://www.daemonology.net/phttpget/

> I would like to see these tools as the default recommended tools to
> use in the future, and that is why I am so worried about this.
> The point I am trying to make is, or actually the question is: Why is
> freebsd-update (and portsnap) so secretive? Why can't the average Joe
> run his own portsnap-mirror at home? What are we afraid of?
I seem to remember once reading that Colin wanted to make it a more
polished system before he release it, but i cant find that email anymore.

Vince