Date:      Tue, 26 Apr 2016 15:19:02 -0600
From:      John Nielsen <lists@jnielsen.net>
To:        Rafael Rodrigues Nakano <mseqs@bsd.com.br>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Contributing to FreeBSD

On Apr 26, 2016, at 2:38 PM, Rafael Rodrigues Nakano <mseqs@bsd.com.br> =
wrote:

> I would like to contribute to FreeBSD in terms of code, but I don't =
know
> where, exactly. I use most of the time C in my free time hobby =
projects,
> but I know a bit of C++ and the concept of OOP. But I found no way to
> contribute to the system itself, I should study more before entering =
the
> Operating System Programming world. However, like I said, I'd like to
> contribute to FreeBSD, so, should I try to enhance the user-level
> applications or something like this? (I saw that 'freebsd-version' is =
> shell script and I think I could make a more information-detailed =
version
> in C, or something else). Sorry if it's a really dumb question, I like
> FreeBSD so much and I know I need to contribute to the development =
somehow.

Hi!

Start here and follow the links, including to the project ideas page and =
the PR database (bugzilla):
https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/articles/contributing/

Get involved in the mailing lists, try things out and see what interests =
you. If you find (or fix!) bugs, submit problem reports to Bugzilla. You =
can also contribute patches to existing PRs.

> Is this the correct way (if not, the easiest one) to start =
contributing to
> such a great OS project like this?
>=20
> And, finally, how exactly I submit my code? CVS? Git? By email?

As mentioned you can use Bugzilla to submit problem reports and patches. =
You can also use it to submit new ports.

The mailing lists are appropriate for discussion of new features and =
small patches. Larger patches can be submitted to Phabricator =
(https://reviews.freebsd.org/) for review. Phabricator is also a good =
place to look at other work in progress.

The official FreeBSD code repositories are Subversion, but there is a =
growing number of people using git. There are now official github repos =
for FreeBSD, which are updated regularly from the SVN repos:
https://wiki.freebsd.org/GitWorkflow

HTH,

JN