Date:      Tue, 17 Apr 2018 09:30:36 +0200
From:      Stefan Esser <se@freebsd.org>
To:        Dieter BSD <dieterbsd@engineer.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Realtek re(4) driver

Am 16.04.18 um 23:23 schrieb Dieter BSD:
> test results with nc(1) are kinda screwy.  Maybe nc is the
> wrong tool, maybe I'm using it wrong, I don't know.
>
> Has anyone tried similar testing?
> Suggestions of knobs to turn, or other things to try?
>
> I need to receive data via UDP without dropping packets.  Closed source sucks,
> but I'm stuck with it, and thus with UDP.

Well, but you know that the U in UDP means unreliable?

On a non-congested link, UDP packets should arrive at the receiver,
but the application has to deal with packet loss, since it cannot
be sure that it is used on a reliable link. Packet loss will cause
reduced throughput (as with TCP), unless it can be dealt with by FEC
or other means (which also reduce throughput).

Regards, STefan