Date:      Tue, 31 Jul 2012 07:29:00 +0200
From:      Lars Thegler <lth@FreeBSD.org>
To:        David Wahlund <david.wahlund@gmail.com>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Port: ifgraph-0.4.10_4

On Tue, Jul 31, 2012 at 12:14 AM, David Wahlund <david.wahlund@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
> Using ifgraph-0.4.10_4 I noticed unexpected behaviour with the user
> rights of the files created.
>
> The cron job is run as user ifgraph but the rrds are owned by
> root:ifgraph with mod 644 so the group ifgraph can't write to them.
> Changing mod to 664 fixes this.
>
> Also the images and html files have unexpected ownership. The images
> are owned by root:ifgraph but the html are ifgraph:ifgraph. Also here
> the ifgraph group doesn't have write privileges to the files.
>
> I've tested the script as root before handing them over to cron. Could
> that be the cause? Shouldn't the script create rrds and images as
> ifgraph anyhow?

I must admit it's been a while since I had a look at ifgraph, I no
longer use it myself.

But your suspicion about first running the script as root could very
well be correct. I suggest you manually change the ownership of the
offending files, and then only run the scripts as the ifgraph user, as
intended.

If the scripts should be improved in some way, you should contact the
original author.

> Regards
> David

/Lars