Date:      Mon, 21 Oct 2013 14:06:52 +0200
From:      Ivan Voras <ivoras@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Netmap and in-kernel IPFW interactions!

--hMfln7fn4gObt5OXNuSiISq8laik0HXDF

On 20/10/2013 09:38, h bagade wrote:

> I am somehow confused how it is possible that netmap-aware tools use ne=
tmap
> datapath and others still use the regular driver! Isn't that the change=
> NIC driver either send the packets to userspace(in case of netmap) or t=
> the kernel(as usual)?

I think you are misunderstanding what netmap does. It is not a type of a
"driver", it has almost nothing to do with the way regular network
packets are processed in the kernel. It is an API which allow specially
created userspace program to send and receive raw packeges to/from the
network card, bypassing the normal TCP/IP processing. It does not do
anything other that that (e.g. it doesn't magically speed up network
traffic with regular programs, etc.).