Date:      Sat, 20 Jun 2015 23:02:42 -0700
From:      Russell Haley <russ.haley@gmail.com>
To:        Tom Pusateri <pusateri@bangj.com>, freebsd-arm <freebsd-arm@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: IMX6 SOM and Cortex M RTOS

 Thanks Tom,

It was confusing because they seem to have an SBC called a Hummingbird
i2ex, as well as a Hummingboard Pro i2ex that seem to have different
specs?

Anyway, I just picked up a dual core pro board (yay!).

Thanks,
Russ

On Sat, Jun 20, 2015 at 5:49 AM, Tom Pusateri <pusateri@bangj.com> wrote:

>> On Jun 20, 2015, at 1:49 AM, Russell Haley <russ.haley@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hello again,
>>
>> I am looking to replace my IMX53 SOM with an IMX6. I saw on the wiki
>> that the Wandboard and the Hummingbird SBC/CuBox are supported as well
>> as a nebulous "others". Is there currently a preferred IMX6 SOM or one
>> with better driver support? What about, say, Varsite, Digi or Phytec
>> (which may have some level of support from other boards)? I am
>> preferably looking for a IMX6 SBC based on a SOM that has eMMC as well
>> as a microSD card and to which I can add a  M.2 3G or 4g broadband
>> modem (i.e. Sierra Wireless, Huaweii etc).
>
> FreeBSD just started creating images for the hummingboard/cubox-i devices=
 from solid-run.com

> ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/snapshots/arm/armv6/ISO-IMAGES/11.0//Fr=
eeBSD-11.0-CURRENT-arm-armv6-CUBOX-HUMMINGBOARD-20150618-r284544.img.xz

> The hummingboards have mPCIE options (half and full size). The hummingboa=
rd 2 is just out and may not yet be supported.

> See http://www.solid-run.com/products/hummingboard/linux-sbc-specificatio=
ns/

> The Cubox-i is a great package but without any mPCIE options.
>
>> 2) Is there any advantage to using an Intel Atom or AMD (or Via
>> anyone?)based SOM over an Arm based SOM? I can see that some of the
>> higher end Atom processors have more performance but also use more
>> power, however I am looking for possibilities like better driver or
>> package support. The Advantech and ADI Engineering boards have caught
>> my eye...
>

> Undoubtedly, an intel platform is going to be hugely better for driver an=
d package support. ARM will be a Tier 1 supported platform for FreeBSD with=
 11.0 but that=E2=80=99s not released for another year.