Date:      Fri, 4 Oct 2013 08:59:40 +0200
From:      Baptiste Daroussin <bapt@freebsd.org>
To:        Scot Hetzel <swhetzel@gmail.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Ports <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: new DEFAULT_VERSIONS variable

--MAH+hnPXVZWQ5cD/

On Fri, Oct 04, 2013 at 01:33:52AM -0500, Scot Hetzel wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 3, 2013 at 8:52 AM, Baptiste Daroussin <bapt@freebsd.org> wro=
te:
> > On Thu, Oct 03, 2013 at 09:47:43AM -0400, Jerry wrote:
> >> I just saw this in UPDATING:
> >>
> >> 20131003:
> >>   AFFECTS: users of lang/python* and ports
> >>   AUTHOR: mva@FreeBSD.org
> >>
> >>   The default versions of lang/python* have been changed to support the
> >>   new DEFAULT_VERSIONS variable.
> >>
> >>   PYTHON_DEFAULT_VERSION, PYTHON2_DEFAULT_VERSION and
> >>   PYTHON3_DEFAULT_VERSION are deprecated. If you have set them in your
> >>   make.conf, you should change them something like
> >>
> >>   DEFAULT_VERSIONS=3Dpython=3D2.7 python2=3D2.7 python3=3D3.3
> >>
> >> Does this affect BERKLEY DB or Ruby also? If not, is it a planned futu=
re
> >> implementation?
> >>

> > The entry as of 20130920 stated also perl5, ruby, tcltk.
> >
> > I would be glad to see bdb, postgresql, mysql, etc also being added her=
e :)

> I have USES files for berkeleydb, sqlite and firebird.  So far their
> they can be used as:
>=20
> USE+=3D berkeleydb
> USE+=3D berkeleydb:41+
>=20

Oh great

> They also support DEFAULT_VERSIONS, currently the syntactic for them is:
>=20
> DEFAULT_VERSIONS=3Dberkeleydb=3D41+ sqlite=3D3 firebird=3D25

To be consistent here if should be berkleydb=3D4.1 not 41+ your are setting=
 the
default version not a version range :)

Same goes to firebird.

Concerning sqlite, does it deserves a default version? sqlite3 and sqlite2 =
are
different products, sqlite4 will also be a different product.
>=20
> These files also support the old WITH_*_VER variables and a per port
> variable to select the version (.i.e for berkeleydb):

Please also add a WARNING+ about the WITH_*_VER usage saying that Users mig=
ht
consider switching to default version.
>=20
> category_portname_BDB_VER
>=20
> I still have some testing to do on these 3 USES files and creating the
> postgresql.mk and mysql.mk (unless someone beats me to them ;-).

I'm expecting to review all of that, imho let's start with the 3 you have
already written, others will come, do not forgot to CC the different mainta=
iners
about the it (acm@ for firebird, mandree@ for berkeleydb).

regards,
Bapt