Date:      Wed, 6 May 2015 23:40:12 +0000
From:      Marcin Cieslak <saper@saper.info>
To:        =?ISO-8859-15?Q?Ren=E9_Ladan?= <rene@freebsd.org>
Cc:        chromium@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: gyp with BSD make?

On Wed, 6 May 2015, René Ladan wrote:

> > Hello,
> >
> > Has anybody tried or was there interest
> > to modify gyp to generate BSDmakefiles
> > that would automatically get our CC, CXX
> > and other flags?
> >
> That would be quite an endavour I think and make our Chromium less
> compatible with upstream.
> The configure step would indeed be a bit faster but I don't see any
> benefits for the main build step which takes the bulk of the time?

Thanks. I didn't think about Chromium, but there is a node-gyp
tool used to build quite a number of node(.js) addons written in C/C++.
I am now involved in making sure http://github.com/sass/node-sass
runs fine on FreeBSD and building binaries; but I think we should
have node-gyp in our ports tree, respecting CC/CXX and so on.

On one hand I can patch it, on the other - since node addons
are relatively simple to build with well-defined dependencies
(v8, libuv, node) we could get <bsd.node.mk> or something we
could refer to.

> Upstream Chromium was in the process of replacing GYP with GN but that
> stalled (to the point where it shall not be mentioned).

iojs community was also discussing moving away from GYP
(https://github.com/iojs/io.js/issues/133) but it seems
that the tool is here to stay for now.

So my goal are hundreds of small node projects that use
node-gyp - most of them fail as-is because "g++" is assumed
to be the compiler or other rather silly reasons.

~Marcin