Date:      Wed, 14 Nov 2018 09:43:03 -0800
From:      Pete Wright <pete@nomadlogic.org>
To:        bruno biondo <brunobiondo@gmail.com>, freebsd-x11@freebsd.org, andreas@braml.org
Subject:   Re: Testing the new i915 driver (855GM)

On 11/14/18 7:12 AM, bruno biondo wrote:
> Reply to a message On *Sun Oct 18 01:13:21 UTC 2*
>
> At this time I came across with your question  while searching FreeBSD
> mailing archives.
> Citing what you said
>
> [...]
>
> Now for my test with the updated i915kms:
>
> - kldload'ing i915kms works (well, at least it doesn't panic as it does on
>
> [...]
>
> I report this suggestion, substituting "radeonkms" with "i915kms":
>
>  From https://wiki.freebsd.org/Graphics:
> *Video driver loaded at boot time*
>

> If you want to automatically load a video driver at boot time, we recommend
> to do it from /etc/rc.conf:
> kld_list="radeonkms"

we (I) am working on an overhaul of the Graphics wiki currently. the
current Graphics wiki is a bit out of date in regardsd to the whole DRM
overhaul that's happened in the past year or so.

It will have lots of updates in regards to both i915 DRM as well as
Radeon/AMD DRM code that has been recently updated.  I will have per GPU
driver instructions as well (i.e. kld_list="i915kms" for intel systems,
kld_list="radeonkms" for AMD systems).  Hopefully this will help reduce
confusion.

> even work. Loading i915kms like this is known to cause a hang early in boot
> with a black screen.
Interesting, I may have missed those bug reports, in my testing I have
not had this issue.  Is there a mailing list thread or PR I can take a
peek at to verify this is an issue?

thanks!
-pete

--