Date:      Mon, 30 Jan 2023 12:30:56 +0100
From:      Mathieu Arnold <mat@freebsd.org>
To:        Sergio Carlavilla <carlavilla@freebsd.org>
Cc:        ykla <yklaxds@gmail.com>, "freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.org" <freebsd-doc@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: To be deprecated [.filename]## tag in the document?

--6fecnfdyt6t73kto

On Mon, Jan 30, 2023 at 11:36:05AM +0100, Sergio Carlavilla wrote:
> El jue., 26 ene. 2023 8:21, ykla <yklaxds@gmail.com> escribi=F3:
>=20
> > Hi,
> >
> > I see that in some sections the [.filename]# # tags have been replaced
> > with ` `, which does not effectively distinguish between folders, device
> > symbols and specific commands, etc.
> >
> >  Are there any plans for FreeBSD to do this across the board in the
> > future? I.e., do we need to do away with the [.filename]# # tag?
> >
> > ykla
> > .
> >
>=20
> Hi,
>=20
> Yes, the idea is to remove the [.filename]## tag and use ``
>=20
> This is from the migration of Docbook to AsciiDoc.

But, why?

This feels like a regression, docbook allowed us to mark things up
semantically, like, we would know what was a variable, a filename, a
code block... The idea was to be able to differentiate things, and let
the rendering do the right thing.
If I see [.filename]#PKG# I clearly see it refers to a filename, they
used to be rendered as fixed with, in some color, so that they could be
differentiated from other fixed width stuff.
If I see `PKG` I just see something that will be rendered with a fixed
with font, but I have no idea what it refers to.

--=20
Mathieu Arnold

--6fecnfdyt6t73kto

--6fecnfdyt6t73kto--