Date:      Wed, 7 Jan 2015 14:50:40 +0300
From:      Gleb Smirnoff <glebius@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Adrian Chadd <adrian@freebsd.org>
Cc:        svn-src-projects@freebsd.org, "src-committers@freebsd.org" <src-committers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: svn commit: r276461 - projects/ifnet/sys/netinet

  Adrian,

On Wed, Dec 31, 2014 at 08:43:11AM -0800, Adrian Chadd wrote:
A> I like the accessor macro methods for various bits here.
A>
A> How about we stage out these simpleish changes into something that
A> lands in -HEAD sooner rather than later?

I'd like to, but this doesn't seem possible to me :(

A> (There are discussions to be had about the attach API; I'm mostly
A> worried about how every new optional field may end up needing a KBI
A> change to do rather than right now where new optional fields end up
A> having defaults that the driver doesn't have to implement itself.)

The plan is that drivers use sparse initializers, so we can add fields
to if_attach_args.

If we add something that is backward incompatible, then we bump ifat_version.

Later if_compat.c will emerge, that will have a collection of converting
functions from older if_attach_args to newer.

--
Totus tuus, Glebius.