Date:      Sat, 14 Jan 2012 23:33:19 +0100
From:      Attilio Rao <attilio@freebsd.org>
To:        Kip Macy <kip.macy@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, Matthieu Hauglustaine <matt.hauglustaine@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: 2 years student project

2012/1/14 Kip Macy <kip.macy@gmail.com>:
> Many of the ideas on that page are stale. I believe that the most
> promising approach would be to figure out what area of the system
> you're most interested in, e.g. networking, file systems, virtual
> memory, scheduling etc., make an honest appraisal of your development
> abilities (the rate at which you can come up to speed working with a
> large body of code and your ability to read technical documentation),
> and then contact the mentor for one of the "Ideas" in your area of
> interest to discuss how to proceed further. In order to have any
> likelihood of success you'll need to find someone who is willing to
> take the time to discuss things with you on a regular basis.

In addition to what Kip suggests, there are also a lot of other ideas
that are really very subsystem-specific and are not listed in the
"Ideas" page, thus if you figure out the kernel areas where you want
to work (and, as Kip says, the rate of your learning) we can provide
you a list of people to contact for any area which can provide several
degrees of mentorship too.

Attilio