Date:      Sun, 16 Nov 2014 14:23:30 -0500
From:      Zaphod Beeblebrox <zbeeble@gmail.com>
To:        Brandon Vincent <Brandon.Vincent@asu.edu>
Cc:        FreeBSD Hackers <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: OT-ish SATA port replicators vs. SAS "expanders"

On Sat, Nov 15, 2014 at 7:35 PM, Brandon Vincent <Brandon.Vincent@asu.edu>
wrote:

> In the end, your choice of solution depends on your application. Are
> you working in a data warehouse with a five nines availability
> requirement or are you experimenting at home? For the later, SATA is
> the economical choice, while SATA doesn't quite cut it for the
> enterprise requirement.

This is a home array that has media and also stores backups of business
data.

> Where did you find that the LSI chipset doesn't support SATA port
> replicators?

Well... when I plug in my LSI 2008 and attach one of it's ports to my
ProBox eSATA port, it only "sees" one disk, despite the LSI 2008 saying
that it supports dozens of total disks.  FYI, the exact model is:

AOC-USAS2-L8IR

... the 'R' version supporting RAID that I don't need and supposedly many
disks per port (which I did need).