Date:      Mon, 17 Jan 2022 09:53:54 +0100
From:      Kristof Provost <kp@FreeBSD.org>
To:        George Michaelson <ggm@algebras.org>
Cc:        "Patrick M. Hausen" <hausen@punkt.de>, freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: can't bridge an I/F with jumbo to taps, deleted bridge 'flags' are sticky if you remake them

On 17 Jan 2022, at 6:09, George Michaelson wrote:
> I tested on FreeBSD 13 and the behaviour is the same.
>
> But, I want to withdraw an imputation this is a bug. The underlying
> behaviour is that you can't bond an MTU9000 and an MTU1500 interface.
> If the base device is set jumbo, then the tapX instances must be set
> jumbo. once you set MTU to match, it works fine on both FreeBSD12 and
> on FreeBSD13.
>
> It's probably a documentation nit, if anything: bridged devices should
> have identical MTU. The ifconfig bridge command will refuse to addm
> <device> if the MTU is not correct for the any other member of the
> bridge group.

Note that the if_bridge behaviour around MTU changes will change in 14.
In 14 it becomes possible to change the MTU on the bridge itself, which w=
ill then adjust the MTU for all member interfaces:

https://cgit.freebsd.org/src/commit/sys/net/if_bridge.c?id=3D33306493825b=
291a308c0d37396e82de458f6cfe

(And also https://cgit.freebsd.org/src/commit/sys/net/if.c?id=3D01ad0c007=
9646a31afa20e1f07e5b62b82613493 which means that interfaces belonging to =
a bridge no longer allow MTU changes.)

Br,
Kristof