Date:      Fri, 15 Dec 2017 11:30:08 +0100
From:      Sid <sid@bsdmail.com>
To:        "blubee blubeeme" <gurenchan@gmail.com>, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Re: OSS Audio

That's good that Jack isn't needed=2E
It appears, as of the last few months or year, OSS is able to play sounds =
from different programs simultaneously=2E

What about physical input jacks for mic and line in?
  # cat /dev/sndstat
  installed devices
  pcm0: <Realtek ALC887 (Rear Analog)> (play/rec) default
  pcm1: <Realtek ALC887 (Front Analog)> (play/rec)
  pcm2: <Realtek ALC887 (Onboard Digital)> (play)
  pcm3: <Realtek ALC887 (Rear Digital)> (play)
  pcm4: <ATI R6xx (HDMI)> (play)
One cluster of physical inputs/outputs can be chosen, but using more than =
one set of inputs isn't always necessary=2E

There are different implementations of OSS, because it has been often fork=
ed or added into various projects, including under less permissive licenses=
, still under the OSS name, to many times become cluttered=2E This is commo=
n for a project of a permissive license to be taken in by various projects,=
 such as ALSA, that use GPL or even proprietary licenses=2E Most forked OSS=
 versions are made to suit or work under other sound architectures, applica=
tions or an OS's purposes, not necessarily making them better=2E I realize =
that FreeBSD's version of OSS is not depreciated, is fairly efficient, and =
is functional as it is what FreeBSD uses as /dev/sndstat=2E For the sound f=
rontend, it depends on what the port/program has available from OSS, SNDIO =
or portaudio, to play on FreeBSD's OSS backend=2E

=C2=A0
> blubee blubeeme gurenchan at gmail=2Ecom - Fri Dec 15 07:49:28 UTC 2017

>> If I can provide OSS audio/midi input and output for the tools that I u=
se,
>> then I can do all the routing natively with OSS=2E

> There's nothing in FreeBSD that makes the sound architecture only suppor=
t 1 audio device=2E
> These were issues with earlier versions of OSS implementation; please re=
member the days of rebooting your system to get new devices to show up=2E
=C2=A0
> All those issues have been sorted out in OSS 4=2E0 and above=2E
=C2=A0
> OSS API is like working with file descriptors;

> The open() system call
> The close() system call
> The read() system call
> The write() system call
> The ioctl() system call
> The select() and poll() system calls
> The mmap() system call
=C2=A0
=C2=A0
> Jack audio is NOT necessary, I already ported amsynth over to FreeBSD, t=
hey had a very old implementation of OSS backend for midi that just worked =
with my midi keyboard=2E
> I spoke to the developer and he also updated his code to the newest vers=
ion of OSS, here's some code:=C2=A0https://github=2Ecom/amsynth/amsynth/com=
mit/7171bd4d945c5938442b80f4276b7e096f06a3a0#diff-0b31b8315cadf5e7556f54a24=
5817f90[https://github=2Ecom/amsynth/amsynth/commit/7171bd4d945c5938442b80f=
4276b7e096f06a3a0#diff-0b31b8315cadf5e7556f54a245817f90]
=C2=A0
> There's a lot of misinfo out there about OSS being depreciated or dead, =
that's not the case=2E
> From looking at what's available OSS is one of the most straight forward=
 and stable Audio API's out there=2E
=C2=A0
> If you want to test for yourself, install audio/oss then run osstest and=
 report back=2E
=C2=A0
> There's ALSA plugins for OSS that would provide better audio vs the way =
things are implemented right now=2E