Date:      Mon, 31 Dec 2012 18:23:17 -0800
From:      Jason Helfman <jgh@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Jason Helfman <jgh@freebsd.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD Ports <ports@freebsd.org>, douglas@douglasthrift.net, Renaud Chaput <renchap@cocoa-x.com>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Port: rubygem-chef-0.10.8_1

On Mon, Dec 31, 2012 at 3:48 PM, Jason Helfman <jgh@freebsd.org> wrote:

> On Sat, Dec 29, 2012 at 10:37 AM, Jason Helfman <jgh@freebsd.org> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, Dec 29, 2012 at 8:17 AM, Renaud Chaput <renchap@cocoa-x.com>wrot=
e:

>>> Hi Douglas,
>>>
>>> The updated Chef port for 10.16.4 is ready, I am waiting for PRs
>>> #173646 #173647 and #173648 to submit it, as they are needed
>>> dependancies.
>>>
>>> If you need, I can send you the patch for rubygem-chef-10.16.4.
>>>
>>> Renaud
>>>
>>> Le Fri, 28 Dec 2012 23:06:20 -0800,
>>> Douglas Thrift <douglas@douglasthrift.net> a =E9crit :

"

>> I was working on updating chef with a colleagues PR's some months ago,
>> and discovered that an upgraded dependency of chef (either highline or
>> net-ssh, I believe it was the latter ) failed for at least one port that
>> required it as a dependency. I can take a look at this again.
>>
>> The update to chef is here
>>
>> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=3Dports/171005
>>
>> and seems less of an issue compared with another pr for the update.
>>
>> -jgh
>>
>> --
>> Jason Helfman          | FreeBSD Committer
>> jgh@FreeBSD.org     | http://people.freebsd.org/~jgh  | The Power to
>> Serve
>>

> Ok, after updating rubygem-{highline,net-ssh} and rebuilding all ports
> that require it, I was able to build chef against version 10.12.0 that is
> from this http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=3Dports/171005
>
> Here is a link to the modified patch.
> http://people.freebsd.org/~jgh/files/chef.diff
>
> Additionally, if you apply the patches in these prs, it should be good fo=
> testing it out, at least.
>
> rubygem-highline: http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=3Dports/1736=
47
> rubygem-net-ssh: http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=3Dports/17101=
0

> The update to net-ssh was very similar to yours, however this also took
> into account the options framework updates.
>
> I can take a look at 173646, then I believe we will be ready to move
> forward with the chef update. Please send me the patch, and I can work on
> it.
>
> Thanks!
>
> -jgh
>

> --
> Jason Helfman          | FreeBSD Committer
> jgh@FreeBSD.org     | http://people.freebsd.org/~jgh  | The Power to Serv=

One point I forgot to mention is that rubygem-highline updated can be
committed without any foreseeable breakage. However, rubygem-net-ssh, at
this point, needs to be updated at the same point that rubygem-chef is
updated, as the current rubygem-chef isn't compatible with the current
version in the tree.

Thanks!
-jgh