Date:      Thu, 23 Apr 2020 10:52:31 +0200
From:      Michael Gmelin <freebsd@grem.de>
To:        Kevin Oberman <rkoberman@gmail.com>
Cc:        Michael Gmelin <grembo@freebsd.org>, x11-list freebsd <freebsd-x11@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Unexpected fallout of evdev

On Thu, 16 Apr 2020 12:29:40 -0700
Kevin Oberman <rkoberman@gmail.com> wrote:

> This is a very belated THANK YOU to Michael for all of his help on
> this.
>
> As of now, everything seems to be working normally. Brightness keys
> work. So do volume buttons, though this issue was orthogonal to
> brightness, caused by a bug in the update to mate-1.22.2 and a later
> update to one of the ports that make up MATE magically fixed things.

That's really nice to hear.

> The only issue remaining, and not one I think worth wasting time on,
> is that MATE no longer is involved, so the OSD of brightness setting
> is gone. C'est la vie!

Depending on the window manager, this could be shown using
"xsetroot -name ..." or it could be done by adapting something
like nbosd. Then again, brightness is one of those things that
doesn't necessarily need OSD, at least compared to volume/mixer
settings.

> Thanks again for all of the time you spent on this, Michael!

Thanks for the feedback!

Cheers,
Michael

--