Date:      Sat, 24 Aug 2019 14:05:06 -0600
From:      Adam Weinberger <adamw@adamw.org>
To:        Kevin Oberman <rkoberman@gmail.com>, se@freebsd.org
Cc:        Paul Macdonald <paul@ifdnrg.com>, Mathieu Arnold <mat@freebsd.org>, FreeBSD Ports ML <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: perl port updates

n about this a few years ago on the ports@ list and I never got a response.
>=20
> I you use '-f' in portmaster, it will rebuild all ports that use the libra=
ry directly and any port that uses that port all the way up the tree. It's o=
nly when something rather disastrous happens that you need or want to use '-=
f'. Very few ports actually make use of the shareable library. Most are simp=
ly calling the perl interpreter and the perl executable which will use the s=
hareable, but those programs don't link to it. In fact, very few 'p5-' progr=
ams do, either. The exceptions are the very few that include C code (a lot d=
o) that call into the libperl.so (fairly uncommon)m and the "pkg shlib" does=
 a very nice job of finding these.

Perhaps the instructions could say that most installations can run portmaste=
r, but if anything stops working (or to be on the safe side) to run portmast=
er -f.

UPDATING instructions are usually written as one-size-fits-all, but this mig=
ht be a case where some latitude reduces workload.

Stefan, can you shed some insight here? I=E2=80=99m not current on portmaste=
r=E2=80=99s modern-day behaviour.

# Adam

=E2=80=94
Adam Weinberger