Date:      Sun, 17 Mar 2019 19:34:21 +0200
From:      Konstantin Belousov <kostikbel@gmail.com>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>
Subject:   Re: hw.vga.acpi_ignore_no_vga=1 for installation media

On Sun, Mar 17, 2019 at 10:10:45AM -0600, Warner Losh wrote:
> I generally like this idea... But two caveats...
>
> First, we'd need to update the docs so that folks doing serial installs can
> unset it.... Though serial installs are a weird beast....
> Second, if it's really needed, we should have the installer generate it.
> alas, only vt can tell us that, but it should be easy to add a sysctl to it
> that says that it has done video by ignoring the absence of the vga node...
It is not about VGA node (what is that ?).
It is about ignoring FACP flag IAPC_BOOT_ARCH={NO_VGA}, and there are
machines which actually break when trying to access VGA hardware despite
the flag is set.
Can anybody provide an example of machine where the flag is set but VGA
works ?  For me, it is set on headless NUC when there is no monitor
attached, and then BIOS does not configure framebuffer at all.

So the proposal is about reversing the set of broken machines, but only
in installer ?  In other words, if it worked for installer, the installed
system would be broken (again) ?

> Warner
>
> On Sun, Mar 17, 2019 at 6:58 AM Leon Christopher Dietrich <
> doralitze@chaotikum.org> wrote:
>
> > Sound's like solid idea.
> >
> > A lot of systems out there lack propper ACPI description for VGA and it
> > would definitly make the installation on such a system much more easy.
> >
> > As far as I can tell it doesn't seam to break other things and even low
> > power system without VGA (like a pcengines apu2) don't seam to suffer.
What apu2 reports in FACP flags ?  Do
	acpidump -dt | grep IAPC_BOOT_ARCH