Date:      Tue, 06 Apr 2021 12:25:52 -0700
From:      Chris <bsd-lists@bsdforge.com>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>
Cc:        Ed Maste <emaste@freebsd.org>, freebsd-stable stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Deprecating base system ftpd?

On 2021-04-03 13:45, Warner Losh wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 3, 2021 at 2:40 PM Ed Maste <emaste@freebsd.org> wrote:
>
>> I propose deprecating the ftpd currently included in the base system
>> before FreeBSD 14, and opened review D26447
>> (https://reviews.freebsd.org/D26447) to add a notice to the man page.
>> I had originally planned to try to do this before 13.0, but it dropped
>> off my list. FTP is not nearly as relevant now as it once was, and it
>> had a security vulnerability that secteam had to address.
I *strongly* object. MacOS also did this. Which made me discover that I
could simply copy my already built FreeBSD version over to all my MacOS
laptops and now enjoy an even better version than had previously existed.
This fact has made my use and need for FreeBSD' ftp even more important.
It has also made FreeBSD more popular with the Mac folks.
I depend upon ftp(1) && ftpd(8). I have on FreeBSD, for as many years as
FreeBSD has existed. I find the ssh and related ports are probed and
hammered on constantly. Whereas the ftp ports are quite rare by comparison.
So keeping sshd(8) and friends ports closed removes overhead. I have no
difficulty managing ftpd(8) via inet(8) && hosts.allow(5). Ftp && ftpd
are both trivial programs and should not be considered for removal.
If the reason for their suggested removal is "development overhead".
Please allow me to maintain both. I will happily assume full
responsibility for them.

Thank you for listening. :-)

--Chris