Date:      Fri, 29 Sep 2023 22:35:05 +0000 (UTC)
From:      "Bjoern A. Zeeb" <bzeeb-lists@lists.zabbadoz.net>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Current <current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: crashinfo fails on 'version'

On Fri, 29 Sep 2023, Warner Losh wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 29, 2023, 3:56 PM Bjoern A. Zeeb <bzeeb-lists@lists.zabbadoz.net>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> saveinfo wrote a good core, but crashinfo bails on it:
>>
>> 'version' has unknown type; cast it to its declared type
>> 'version' has unknown type; cast it to its declared type
>> Unable to find matching kernel for /var/crash/vmcore.1
>>
>> I've got gdb-13.1_3 installed.
>>
>> Anyone any insights?
>>

> What does kgdb say? Iirc crashinfo uses lldb for this.

I would hope the latter was true but:

% grep -i lldb /usr/sbin/crashinfo
%

at least on the version here still very much gdb.

I have started to trace and manually called the same commands crashinfo
seems to run (without batch).

It seems the real problem might be that it cannot find debug symbols
inside the VM.

I am wondering if there was a way to check for that to make the error
messages less cryptic (e.g., maintenance print symbols empty if it does
what I would think; I'll hopefully see soon).

Also turns out /etc/src.conf on the provided host had WITHOUT_DEBUG_FILES=
and even building and installing with -DWITH_DEBUG_FILES does not seem
to override that (probably by design), which likely was the reason for
no symbols in first place.

I'll hopefully have more answers in 20 minutes.  Remote debugging wifi
less fun than I hoped.

/bz

--
Bjoern A. Zeeb                                                     r15:7