Date:      Mon, 25 Jul 2011 22:04:05 -0600
From:      Scott Long <scottl@samsco.org>
To:        Freddie Cash <fjwcash@gmail.com>
Cc:        Bruce Cran <bruce@cran.org.uk>, freebsd-current <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>, Ron McDowell <rcm@fuzzwad.org>, Nathan Whitehorn <nwhitehorn@freebsd.org>, eculp <eculp@encontacto.net>
Subject:   Re: Trying to install current from a memory stick and then a DVD and got a new and strange installer.

On Jul 25, 2011, at 11:36 AM, Freddie Cash wrote:

> On Sun, Jul 24, 2011 at 11:51 PM, Bruce Cran <bruce@cran.org.uk> =
wrote:
>=20
>> On 25/07/2011 06:01, Freddie Cash wrote:
>>=20
>>> Thank goodness. The worst thing about sysinstall was that it tried =
to be a
>>> Swiss Army knife doing everything, yet not doing any one thing well. =
It made
>>> a royal mess of rc.conf if you tried to use it to configure a =
system.
>>> Usually the first time someone mentions they use it for post-install
>>> configuration, the recommendation is to stop doing that! An os =
installer
>>> should do just that: install the os and nothing else.
>>>=20
>>=20
>> I tend to disagree with this. For people unfamiliar with FreeBSD =
using it
>> as a systems administration tool can be really useful, at least until =
they
>> understand where all the various configuration files are and how they =
work.
>> Having recently switched to opensuse from Ubuntu I know I find the =
YaST
>> tool incredibly useful, and probably wouldn't have continued using =
SuSE if
>> it hadn't been there. Its installer mode is one of the better =
installers
>> I've come across, and lets you fine-tune the configuration.
>>=20
>=20
> The difference is that YaST was designed from the get-go to be both a =
system
> management tool and a software installation tool and a system =
installation
> tool.  Sysinstall was not, and sysinstall used as a post-install =
management
> tool the past couple of years has caused more issues for newbies than =
it's
> "solved".

Um, no.  Though sysinstall started life as a stop-gap until the "real" =
installer was written (which never happened), it quickly switched gears =
and strived to be both an installer and a configuration tool.  It was =
designed to do both, and there are volumes of emails from the last... =
what... 15-18 years?... that will attest to this.  The design flaw of =
sysinstall was that it didn't follow the model-view-controller design =
pattern, so over time it became harder and harder to maintain it, and it =
essentially rotted as the system evolved around it, despite many valiant =
efforts by many tireless developers.  YaST did a much better job of =
following the MVC pattern, and it shows 10 years later.

Scott