Date:      Thu, 16 Jun 2016 13:29:08 -0700
From:      Russell Haley <russ.haley@gmail.com>
To:        Mathieu Prevot <mathieu.prevot@gmail.com>
Cc:        romain@freebsd.org, Freebsd-mono <freebsd-mono@freebsd.org>,  Ivan Radovanovic <radovanovic@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: maintaining ports and mono

On Thu, Jun 16, 2016 at 12:37 PM, Mathieu Prevot
<mathieu.prevot@gmail.com> wrote:

>> On Thu, Jun 16, 2016 at 11:08 AM, Russell Haley <russ.haley@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> > Hi Mathieu,
>> >
>> > I have expressed interest in helping maintain mono on FreeBSD but have
>> > moved away due to lack of interest and support. Currently someone has
>> > ported more recent versions of Mono (Romain I think?), but MonoDevelop
>> > is somewhat out of date. I had patches to build MonoDevelop with
>> > Rolsyn but couldn't get the MonoDevelop github repos to work with
>> > FreeBSD ports so I gave up after multiple requests for help on both
>> > this mailing list and the FreeBSD forum.
>>
>> NOTE: The issue was with FreeBSD ports not allowing me to use multiple
>> repositories with specific tags or commits. It had nothing to do with
>> building MD.
>

> I'm not sure I understand this. Do you have a link to the previous
> discussions ?
> Do you have your own private port working ? I think this is a first good
> start.

MonoDevelop-Roslyn patches:
My changes are in my github repo
(https://github.com/russellhaley/monodevelop) but have been buried
under a bunch of changes made by the IDE when I opened the MonoDevelop
Project. I have some notes on what needs to be updated to help sort it
out (not here at work though). Most of these changes are probably
suspect due to the age of the fork however.

FreeBSD MonoDevelop Port:
There are currently two ways to build MD: Using a tarball or from
GitHub. My patches worked on the GitHub method and since many other
things on FreeBSD (including all the src) are moving to Github I went
with that.
Next, to update the port Makefile I grabbed ports via SVN and followed
the porters handbook. There are variables and targets and such and
so-forth for using GitHub. It looked very promising until I hit the
main/external folder:

https://github.com/mono/monodevelop/tree/roslyn/main/external

All these items are links to other repos at specific commits. There is
a trivial example of how to accomplish external repos in the porters
handbook, but I couldn't make it work for something this complex.

Unfortunately, I have a habit of killing computer images. I destroyed
the jail that code existed in by accident some time ago.

SO:

If there is some interest and someone can help me on the outstanding
issues (mainly ports!) I would be willing to resurrect that project,
or assist someone else. I think this looks great on my resume and sets
me apart from the crowd so I am willing to spend some time on it. It's
also a place where I can contribute and (possibly?) earn a commit bit
on the ports tree (I will have a freebsd.org email address one
day!!!).  Otherwise, I have other projects I'm working on right now.

Cheers,

Russ