Date:      Mon, 16 Apr 2018 11:59:50 -0400
From:      zep <zgreenfelder@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: issue with /tmp

On 04/16/2018 11:30 AM, David Mehler wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Running FreeBSD 11.1 and imapsync it failed while writing to /tmp. I
> then tried to use vi to open a file, got the below error:
>
> #vi 10-mail.conf
>
> > /tmp: create/symlink failed, >>no inodes free<<
> ex/vi: Error: /var/tmp/vi.recover/: No space left on device
> ex/vi: Modifications not recoverable if the session fails
> ex/vi: Error: 10-mail.conf: No space left on device
> ex/vi: Error: Unable to create temporary file: No space left on device
I believe the >> lines above are your (primary) issue.

> Any suggestions welcome.
>
> Thanks.
> Dave.

file systems have 2 components, the size of the device they're attached
to and the number of inodes.  normally people run out of the space on
the device first, but sometimes if you have a very large number of very
small files or directories, you can run out of inodes and still have
free space. (every file or directory consumes an inode).  there are
often options for your various filesystems to adjust up or down the
number/percentages of inodes.
as a quick fix, I'd go into the /tmp filesystem and remove unused, old,
unneeded files and that should get you going in the short term.  a
longer term fix would likely be a good plan.

--
public gpg key id: 0x5B8147CB