Date:      Fri, 15 May 2020 12:49:56 -0700
From:      Chris <bsd-lists@BSDforge.com>
To:        Ed Maste <emaste@freebsd.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD Hackers <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: [HEADSUP] Disallowing read() of a directory fd

On Fri, 15 May 2020 13:49:54 -0400 Ed Maste emaste@freebsd=2Eorg said

> On Fri, 15 May 2020 at 13:14, Chris <bsd-lists@bsdforge=2Ecom> wrote:
> >
> > But given the potential
> > gains for all this, are trivial at best=2E
In a purely observational view=2E=2E=2E
>=20
> Some benefits of this change have already been discussed:
> 1=2E It would have prevented, or at least significantly blunted, the
> security issue described in FreeBSD-SA-19:10=2Eufs=2E
> 2=2E It avoids problems caused by application assumptions=2E
Applications that fail in this regard, are poorly designed, and
need to step up=2E It's not up to (Free)BSD to bend to their lazyness=2E
>=20
> On the other hand, arguments for allowing reads of directories:
> 1=2E It's always been that way=2E
> 2=2E File system developers and experts may use the ability for certain
> special or unusual actions=2E
>=20
> Making the change with a sysctl to control still allows the special
> case use, and I'm glad that Kyle spent the time on this change=2E
I too conceded to this perhaps being a reasonable approach=2E So long
as it wasn't read-only=2E

In the end; given that there was a non perceivable amount of noise
on this over the last 40 some yrs=2E It hardly seemed worth/any effort(s)=2E
-- observationally speaking; not emotionally :-)

--Chris