Date:      Tue, 10 Oct 2000 18:30:22 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        "ROTHENBERG, MICHAEL" <MROTHENBERG@exchange1.PRIA.com>
Cc:        "'FreeBSD-questions'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Ethernet config

ROTHENBERG, MICHAEL writes:
> Cool product. Hummm... so it does DHCP and gets an address assigned. Assume
> it doesn't get a 192.168 address of its own for the external interface. Then
> does NAT on anything from the inside. Sounds like my BSD box }:) I don't
> think that it has anything to do with this device. You have run other things
> though it and gotten good results. So that means its local to the BSD box
> and how it is handling things.

Yeah - if I'd had a spare box to put BSD on, I would have bought a hub
instead of it. But at that price, I couldn't resist. And yes, it's
ipaddress is mwm.tzo.com. But I didn't stay working with Unix on x86
until the PIII was around, so I don't have lots of old boxes. Well, I
could try and resurrect a Sun 3 and find another ethernet card for it,
but...

> On a picky note with a guess, your box's interface is set to netmask
> 0xffffff00 while the hub/router is netmask 0xffff0000 if it is 192.168
> based. This might mean that your box is missing some broadcasts?? Or not.
> I'm not sure how that really works. with the different masks. Have to go
> home and grab some books.

The router has a LAN side netmask of 0xffffff00. Like I said, I'm
pretty sure it's restricted to the 192.168.1. addresses
internally. But I can set it's LAN side IP address and netmask to
whatever I want.

> I'm not sure what's happening Mike. IPFW getting in the way?

I'm not sure anything is wrong in my setup - except I'm confused about
my inability to force half duplex. My network seems to be fine. I just
saw the note about "run half duplex to hubs", and wondered if I was
getting all I could out of my network.

	Thanx,
	<mike