Date:      Mon, 9 Oct 2023 08:41:32 +0200
From:      Moin Rahman <bofh@freebsd.org>
To:        Jeffrey Altman <jaltman@auristor.com>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org, Bernard Spil <brnrd@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 14 Port of OpenSSL 3 with QAT Engine

--Apple-Mail=_AB6947C4-C694-4C88-B4F0-95CD2265A9EF

> On Oct 8, 2023, at 11:22 PM, Jeffrey Altman <jaltman@auristor.com> =
wrote:
>=20
> Moin and Bernard,
>=20
> Thank you for confirming that there is no QAT engine support in the =
current FreeBSD distributions.
Yes my previous company moved away from it as there were no support for =
the hardware in 13 onwards.

> QAT is interesting because it not longer requires dedicated hardware.  =
QAT has been included for many years in a subset of Intel Atom =
processors such as the C3338R which are often used in network routers or =
low end storage appliances. QAT is also included in all of the Xeon D =
series as well as the current series of i5, i7, and i9 desktop =
processors.
>=20
> I have QAT available in the latest and last generation Intel NUC and =
in a Netgate pfsense router.
>=20
> I have a FreeBSD 14 beta VMware VM I can use for testing.  Given my =
existing obligations I would be a poor choice to maintain a port.  =
However, I am happy to test and/or give remote access to a VM to use for =
dev/testing.
I think you should consider ktls and try to look for some Chelsio T6 or =
NVIDIA/Mellanox Conectx6/Bluefield NICs which has this sort of =
offloading capabilities and they are way off better than the CPU one. =
And FreeBSD also has support for these from 13.1 onwards.

Kind regards,
Moin

> Thanks.
>=20
> Jeffrey
>=20
>> On Oct 8, 2023, at 4:44=E2=80=AFPM, Moin Rahman <bofh@freebsd.org> =
wrote:
>>=20
>> =EF=BB=BF
>>=20
>>> On Oct 8, 2023, at 10:24 PM, Bernard Spil <brnrd@freebsd.org> wrote:
>>>=20
QAT
>>>=20
>>> Hi Jeffrey,
>>>=20
>>> I didn't know about the existence of this engine. Should be a =
separate port that just adds the engine shlib. Not necessarily by =
myself. You can always submit a port via bugzilla, notify =
freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org for reviewers.
>>>=20
>>> I have no hardware around that I know of where I can test this =
proper.
>>>=20
>>> Cheers, Bernard.
>>>=20
>>=20
>> Hi Jeffrey,
>>=20
>> I might have an older version which used to work but I have to find =
it.
>>=20
>> If you are able to check it then I will try to look for it. I no =
longer work for the company which used to use this and no longer have =
the hardware access.