Date:      Thu, 19 Feb 2004 13:29:33 +0100
From:      "Angelo Turetta" <aturetta@commit.it>
To:        <ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Tomcat 4.1.29 -  Start then shuts down

----- Original Message -----
From: "Conrad Burger" <conrad.burger@swistgroup.com>
Sent: Thursday, February 19, 2004 9:15 AM

> When the system boots, it shows that tomcat is started.
> But when I do a sockstat or ps I can find the java processes.
> After reading the tomcat log files, it looks as if tomcat starts up and
> 3-5 seconds later shuts down again.
> When I manually start tomcat it works with out any further problems.
>
> Has any one ever seen this behaviour ?

This is very similar to the behaviour shown after installing Tomcat from a
package instead than from ports, before a patch that was commited just
before 5.2-RELEASE.

If that is your case, you will see files/dirs in
/usr/local/jakarta-tomcat4.1 (or wherever else if you didn't install with
default paths) owned by the user you installed the package as. That whole
tree must be owned by www:www (eg: chown -R www:www
/usr/local/jakarta-tomcat4.1).

If I remember correct, some files are missing from the package too, so I'd
advise pkg_remove and reinstall from recently cvsup-ed ports (write me in
private mail if you would like to download a prebuilt package).

Ciao,
Angelo Turetta